PDA

View Full Version : California legal?

paulmer
07-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Hello everyone.

I know there are a lot of "grey market" Renault imports here in the USA..However, due to California's more stringent smog and other regulations, I don't see many here in California. If a car is EPA & DOT licensed and have all of the bureaucratic crap taken care of so it can be registered in it's home state, can it be brought to California, registered and be street legal without any drama?

Or what about importing a Canadian car to California?

Any information, anecdotes, experiences?

Thanks all.

frogparts
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
If you are talking about a newish car registered in another US state, it is doable, but still expect a lot of drama. There are far more draconian smog equipment laws in CA, and the information seems to change from one source to another, even in the DMV offices. I would seek out a third party registration "expediter" to help you if you are determined to keep it in California. If you are just traveling through or stationed here temporarily and have a permanent address in another state to which it can be registered, that is by far the easiest thing to do.

Although I have not heard of any new models being federalized (Renault cars are not in as much demand nor do they have the financial and social cache of cars like Bugatti or Ferrari), it is not out of the question that it may have been done by a determined owner. Like you!

Lastly, be prepared to be let down in the course of trying to keep it running. You will not be able to get any parts or service in CA or the US other than filters that cross with some other cars. It is a daunting plan you have, and it never gets easier unless you have family in France that is willing to ship parts to you.

Good luck!

paulmer
07-19-2010, 10:13 PM
If you are talking about a newish car registered in another US state, it is doable, but still expect a lot of drama. There are far more draconian smog equipment laws in CA, and the information seems to change from one source to another, even in the DMV offices. I would seek out a third party registration "expediter" to help you if you are determined to keep it in California. If you are just traveling through or stationed here temporarily and have a permanent address in another state to which it can be registered, that is by far the easiest thing to do.

Although I have not heard of any new models being federalized (Renault cars are not in as much demand nor do they have the financial and social cache of cars like Bugatti or Ferrari), it is not out of the question that it may have been done by a determined owner. Like you!

Lastly, be prepared to be let down in the course of trying to keep it running. You will not be able to get any parts or service in CA or the US other than filters that cross with some other cars. It is a daunting plan you have, and it never gets easier unless you have family in France that is willing to ship parts to you.

Good luck!Definitely not talking about a "new" car, I mean bringing an older car (like, say a R5 turbo or or even something not so special, like a Caravelle). I guess if it's made prior to 1975 I don't have to smog it..and if I don't have to smog it, I imagine it shouldn't be too difficult to have it registered in California if it's already been registered in another state.

I am born in raised here in California..always liked unique and quirky cars..am a BMW and Volvo man currently, but I'd love to add a French car to the stable sometime :)

Is it really that difficult to source parts? Aside from shipping costs and the usually painful euro-usd exchange right, what are the difficulties? I assume the parts sellers in Euroland don't care as long as you pay the shipping, no?

frogparts
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I was presuming. Yes, anything before 1975 is golden. if you have a Renault later than that, but still something that was sold here (and you are not sure it will pass smog), you can try getting a historic registration for it. You don't have to get it smogged, but have to attest that you only will drive it to shows and parades, but no one checks.

As to parts availability, it is getting tougher and more expensive, but they are available from some sources, depending largely which model you have. I have some R5 (LeCar) parts, Jaques in San Diego has lots of rear engine model parts, Jose in Florida has all sorts of parts for most years and models. There are also European places that sell parts, but shipping and customs can eat up a lot of $. Watch Craigslist and Ebay, there are some parts that pop up from time to time.

darling
10-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Some things that can be done through my site Indian Sailability.
1. Engine flush(loosens engine).
2.AMSOIL European car formula 5W-40 oil 1 gallon plus 1 quart fill. Oil filter EA021
3. Wire set RC-EUX030/ four IXIRIDIUM plugs BPR6EIX-NGK6637
4. One gallon after flushing radiator AMSOIL COOLANT with 3 quarts of distilled water.
5. Check the Catalytic converter for used oil. If so replace.
6. Fuel regulator can now be leaned to bring into standard, also PCV valve replaced.
7. Usually this engine can be brought down to 700RPM idle which means a lower emission. Use your local shop to see if engine is complying