Thread: Two Renaults 5's of different years and swaping parts...

Default Two Renaults 5's of different years and swaping parts...

I've got a 1981 Renault 5 (Le Car) that it in wonderful shape due to the fact of being put up for most up it's life in a garage. The guy who owned it bought it and then when it didn't hold everything he needed he bought another car and put this on in the garage with on 36000 Kilometers. (Yes, he is and was rich.)

However sitting for so long did cause a few issues and these are no exactly small. In the 90's he thought he would get it running again and with little work and no care he did. Only to run it without coolant and severely overheat it, making this engine not worth the trouble of repair.

This car is now in caring hands at my house and was bought by me for 1$ in June.

Just today I found another 1972 Renault 5 (Le Car) 300Km away that is complete and running condition but not road worthy thanks to the body and without papers for 300$. This R5 has 128000Km. I'm going to get it next week if everything goes well. This was a lucky find in Nova Scotia and I told him I'd pay more if he wouldn't sell it to anyone else.

My Question is will the engine from the 72 R5 fit in the 81 R5? They are both manuals. Will the older engine simply bolt in or will it require so modifications to work in the 81 R5? Either way I don't have any issues, I'd just like to know so I can prepare for this project.

Thanks

I'm not an expert on the really old models, but it's probably a stretch that it will work... The gear box is different which probably will prevent the old engine from mating up with your new tranny. I could be wrong...

Since it's probably just the block and head that are goofed up with the overheating, you should ask around for one - including here and maybe on the yahoo renaultNA group...

Do you know exactly what's wrong with it? Seized? head warped?

Good luck,

Karl

I know this is an old thread, but I'd thought I answer anyway. I 90% sure it would be fine. Renault were/are very good at making cars based on similar platforms. This means that a lot of newer parts can be retro fitted to older cars. However in this case, the LeCar is basically a Mk1 R5 and they didn't really change until '85 with the introduction of the Mk2 on which the R5 GT Turbo is based. The exception to that rule is obviously the R5 Turbo and Turbo2 which had a completely different layout.

Hope that is of some use to some of you.

are the engine sizes the same ??

The Mk1 R5 used engines from two engine families within Renault. The smaller engines (782cc, 845cc) were the older Ventoux, while the remaining engines (956cc, 1108cc, 1289cc and 1397cc) were all from the Cleon family. As long as the Engine Mounts from the engine they belong to were used, they would fit just fine. The basic chassis of the LeCar remained largely inchange in it's life cycle.