Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renault R15s and R17s

Exclamation Renault R15s and R17s

Looking to start a simple registry of 15s and 17s. Interested in seeing how many other cars we still keep running and treasure (or have parked waiting to be revived).

Please start by adding to this thread, and possibly it can go further with ROCONA. Just give the year, model, Renault R13_ _ number, and the oval plate number (located under the hood near the coolant overflow bottle):

1978 17 Gordini, 1326 - Oval plate number - 1893 -driving and enjoying

1979 17 Gordini, 1326 - Oval plate number - 2919 -driving and enjoying

Thanks and hope to hear from more of you soon!

I am located in New York State. Please add state/country for your car.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by 17gordini; 01-06-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Adding information

Here you go; 1978 R1326 2209 (waiting) 1978 R1326 2217 (driving)

Smile Renault R-17-15

Hi;
    Just to let you know . It's too late . there's that club already since 2008
    it's R15R17yahoogroups.com . Get in contact with them. For the parts needed for the R-15 or R-17 Let us know.
    Thanks;
    Renault Source

Default Just got mine!

I just went and visited my "new" Renault. Always wanted a 17. I've owned lots of Citroens (DS's, and a 2cv). A friend of mine is restoring a few Lotus Europas, and needed an engine, so he bought these two cars in PA and brought them to Mass.

http://rustybuttrusty.com/2011/08/09...t-17-gordinis/

My friend only needs the parts car engine, and then made a deal with me to sell me the black car, which is driveable, though it has some issues. I've owned lots of French cars before so the coolness of a 17 gordini outweighs whatever issues it might have.

But a few questions:

First off, how do you get the battery out??

It appears this battery is mostly dead, but when you jump start it and get it going, the voltage reads like 16 or 17 volts. When you rev it up, it goes up to 18 volts.. Is this normal?

I'm about to drive it from his place in central Mass about 80 miles east, and really don't want to fry the electrical system because it's overcharging. I'm going to re-test the voltage with a known good battery though, but it's weird, just having the voltage so high..

Oh, and I got REAMED by Mass for sales tax.. they blue book valued this car at $6,700. Is a Renault 17 really worth that much??? Renaults were always the car that lost so much value in the 80's and 90's, I can't imagine they have gone up that much.. I'm going to try to get some of that tax money back, since the car is -quite- rough.. Driveable, but it's going to need a full restoration..

Also, it seems like my VIN has way more digits than that. Its like R13266693338, but thats just going by the old title and registration.. I haven't looked on the car itself.

Not sure if I should be concerned that "666" is in there.. Hmmmm

-Tara

Well, the parts car has an alternator and voltage regulator so I'm figuring one of those will probably fix it if it's not the battery itself

I hear that one can substitute a rather generic voltage regulator if need be. I'm hoping that in the long run, i can use parts on it that are better quality than the French originals.

Also, there's some belt driven air pump thing on the top front of the engine. There's no belt and the thing seems to be seized. Since I don't need an emissions test on this car, I'm very interested in removing any of the emissions crap, just to simplify things and to squeeze some more hp out of the motor.

I'm having an awful time finding any information about this car. But i do have the Haynes manual, which I picked up ages ago for no other reason except that it was $0.35 at a discount store and I thought that maybe someday a 17 would drift my way.

Tara

Smile R-17 voltage regulator

Hi;
    I have in stocK N.O.S. Also many parts new and some used for the R-17 #1326 model . Reach me at (786) 546-4552 from 9:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Eastern
    Thanks;
    Renault Source

I just bought a R15, just waiting on it to arrive, running and driving needs tlc, we will see?? keep you posted on numbers when it gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by 17gordini View Post
    Looking to start a simple registry of 15s and 17s. Interested in seeing how many other cars we still keep running and treasure (or have parked waiting to be revived).

Please start by adding to this thread, and possibly it can go further with ROCONA. Just give the year, model, Renault R13_ _ number, and the oval plate number (located under the hood near the coolant overflow bottle):

1978 17 Gordini, 1326 - Oval plate number - 1893 -driving and enjoying

1979 17 Gordini, 1326 - Oval plate number - 2919 -driving and enjoying

Thanks and hope to hear from more of you soon!

I am located in New York State. Please add state/country for your car.

Thanks everyone!

The R15 has arrivied, it runs quite lovely, smooth and clean burning, and you can tell it has sat for a while but not bad. I will get some pics and post them
    1976 Renault R12 Break
    1974 Renault R12 Berline
    1974 Renault R15

Remember "the Titanic was made by professionals, the Ark by amateurs" never give up, never.

Default Renault 17 R1326 in Miami

I'm doing a full restoration of my R17 oval plate 3012, 1979 black

Default 1979 17g

Best of luck! Please post some photographs soon of the car before and during your restoration.