Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas to grow our membership?

Default Any ideas to grow our membership?

Great article in last month's "Sports Car Market" magazine. Had a letter from a young guy interested in old cars and wondering what the future lies for him since all he seems to see are older guys involved in clubs. The editor's response was encouraging but truthful.

Club membership for all car clubs are down due to the aging of the membership. I'd venture to say that the bulk of our membership are either into retirement age or close to it. French cars left the US market years ago, and for us, only those that remember them from their youth (or younger adulthood) or somehow have stumbled upon them for the "hipster" value appear interested.

Our Renaults continue to be some of the coolest cars that are under the radar (until they are seen), by the younger folks out there.

Besides a revamping of the website, I'm determined to grow our membership to attract those that will keep the old Renaults alive well after we go on. Time to pass the torch, and no time is better than now, even though I plan to be around for a long time.

I have heard the comment, "I don't join clubs" and the like from younger folk. Truth be known, if our club was cool enough, we couldn't keep those people away.

How do we make ourselves that cool club?

Ball's in your court, members
    Look forward to hearing from you.
    Last edited by mr.admin; 03-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Helping to keep our Renaults on the road

Make membership more exclusive? Any new member-prospect must be sponsored by an established member. If they can't get in, maybe they would try harder.

Are we on Facebook? or Twitter? Maybe having a presence on one of those would help.

We don't have enough meetings or functions to recruit personally, can we change that?

Post entirely in French.

Just start sending out invoices to all members, former members, anyone who has accessed the website or even speaks English. Some people pay official looking invoices automatically.
    1971 R10 - R1192

Another club that I belong to (The French Car Club of Tasmania) has a similar problem. We think that part of the answer is targeted contact with potential members. Who are they? Anyone with a relevant car.

How to contact them is the problem & one way is for existing members to look out for French cars & contact the owners if possible. One sees such cars either driving or parked. The former scenario is awkward but the latter is an opportunity. Our idea is to have a run of promotional cards made up & distributed to existing members to be put under the target vehicles' windscreen wipers (or passed across if lucky enough to have a conversation). Cards are to be business card size & waterproof (simple lamination of a plastic envelope over a card). Information on them is brief & encouraging of an exploratory contact ("corporate" email contact & web URL). General car enthusiast show conversations are a target opportunity as are commercial sales of parts ("Jacques" & Jose could enclose cards with parts orders).

I'm a member (in virtue of writing an article or two for the magazine) but not living in North America. For me, it's an online and email thing. AussieFrogs is a loose collective & not a club but why not invite people like me from A.F. to join. It's easy to register & post on fora there. At the moment, your discussion fora are fairly inactive (there are merits; for instance, I've made some nice Djet contacts in ROCoNA) but the magazine isn't bad. Keep the price down as such members are an investment in intellectual "critical mass" & basically cost nothing.

Finally, as numbers are a problem, consider expanding your scope or amalgamating with other existing French car clubs (if they exist) - 'French United Car Clubs of North America' has a nice phonetic ring when contracted to initial letters. Although not a club, Aussie Frogs is not a bad model of such a multi marque arrangement.

cheers! Peter

Why not trying short therm memberships, something like ...

1 Month Trial Membership
    3 Months Trial Membership

Other thing would be encouraging - online international memberships - at lower rates since outside the USA there are plenty of countries still carrying Renault Dealerships and it may be appealing to youger people.
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

http://www.kioscomusical.com

We may try sending direct email to forum members (not active club members) inviting them to join, support and enjoy the benefits.

It's a fact, members are really geographical dispersed and it makes difficut to get together.

I still believe offering trial memberships can be the begining of new long term memberships.
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

I think changing the main page around a bit every once in a while would make people come back to visit more often. It looks the same ever since I can remember and I owned 5 different Renaults since I became a member.
    On the main page there should be a feature of the month, a member's car and a small article about it.
    Also, commenting on each other's posts will help keep the topics alive and keep memebers coming back. This is a very quiet forum...

I would mention the current newsletter features

I suggest to make some offers like subscription magazines and trials for online memberships so more people overseas would be interested on putting some bucks on the online membership which doesn't involve printing and mailing.
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

Question membership

I have been involved with the Renault club's forum for a couple of years and have been faithfully following the forum I am what could be considered the older generation . My interests are restoring a few older Renaults as I head towards retirement .

This is my experience with the forum .
    My interested is to acquire technical information and to find suitable parts to do some restoration work on my older 60's & 70's Renault cars . I live in a remote area outside of the U.S.A. and where to the best of my knowledge there is no one that resides anywhere close that works on or possibly even knows of the cars that I am trying to restore. My life line to other Renault people is thru the internet whether the forum's or thru E-mails . What I am saying is I do not have a place to go to that I can meet other like minded Renault people so the forum becomes the best connection to find out what is going on with the type of cars that I am working on.

What I have noticed with the forum is that unlike some of the overseas forum's there seems to be a hesitation to share some technical information in matter of fact when I started a thread asking about technical information on how to modify some engine parts I was told by a senior member that the information I was looking for was something that had costs him a lot of time and money to figure out and that he did not what that information just out there for any one to use ?? It was interesting to me that it was a member of a overseas Renault forum that answered the thread with information and as a result I have joined that forum as well for the technical know how that seems to be readily available to all .

I am not saying that the north America forum does not have the expertise in matter of fact after being involved for a while I finally found a few members that knew a lot about the stuff I was desperately looking for and they have been able to help me out by finding the parts that I needed for which I am grateful for.

To be fair to the club I do not get the magazine which may hold all the information that I was looking for.

What I would like to see changes in the Forum is the individual memberships information, it seems very vague in the interests field ( about me} which is not always filled in ,or the location of the person . which would be a interest to me in finding out where the Renault people reside . ,any of their projects or cars on the go would be nice as well . I did my best to include the information needed in hopes others with similar interests could contact me. I am a little concerned with the new members that don't fill in all the fields or just seem to appear out of no where that want to sell something or buy something if they don't fill in all the fields .

I think a free exchange of technical information would be better as well with a few build projects on the go to high light and encourage others to start a project after all I was under the impression that was the intent of the club's mandate ??

Just a few simple thoughts

Gordman.

ok Gordman, suitably rebuked, I just went into my profile and added a few words (gee, one doesn't get many words to use).

cheers! Peter

Hosting regular columns.
    You could ask my brother to do "Ask The Car Doctor", lol, or other supremely knowledgeable people to answer all manner of questions, and start building a helpful reference library that could be easily searched.
    Linking membership with multiple other like-minded groups. (suggested above)
    Performing timely upgrading/updating of site and staying au courant.
    The calendar of events is for 2011 through January 2012....
    Adding features, such as "Car of The Month", this could be in various categories.
    First-person blogs/stories/articles of participation in cool events, travel, car shows, food finds, etc. with pics (lots of pictures!) and links.
    This is just off the top of my head after joining the site a few minutes ago.
    Cheers,
    Summerlin Burnette
    (Jonathan Burnette's sister)
    Last edited by speasummerlin; 11-02-2013 at 04:54 AM. Reason: Punctuation inadvertently omitted.