Thread: 1974 Renault 12 Break

Default 1974 Renault 12 Break

About 6-7 years ago I saw this wagon for sale on ebay in Montana. At the time I was in school so I had a very tight budget, nonetheless I placed a bid on it. Unfortunately it wasn't a high bid, especially since I had to take in consideration the cost of shipping from Montana to New York. I lost the auction and my search for another R12 began. That's how I ended up with the orange R12 which can be found elsewhere on the forum. After buying that R12 I was informed of another person in Arizona that had a Dacia 1300 and an R12, coincidentally the wagon I previously bid on. We became good friends and now that I sold my orange one and he wanted to sell his wagon it is only natural that I would buy it.
    I got the car a couple of weeks ago, it's in pretty good shape and I'm very happy with it. The engine cranked and I was told that it previously started and drove. I put gas directly in the carb and it fired up, but only for a couple of seconds. I changed the fuel pump and it still wasn't running. I tried running it from a bottle with gas and still no luck. Finally, I had the carb rebuilt by a good friend of mine and last night at 1 AM we finally got it running! The engine sounds really good, nice and smooth. There's a lot more to do in order to get it to drive, but this was a major step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6UYQGvnoM

Quote Originally Posted by TzucuNY View Post
    About 6-7 years ago I saw this wagon for sale on ebay in Montana. At the time I was in school so I had a very tight budget, nonetheless I placed a bid on it. Unfortunately it wasn't a high bid, especially since I had to take in consideration the cost of shipping from Montana to New York. I lost the auction and my search for another R12 began. That's how I ended up with the orange R12 which can be found elsewhere on the forum. After buying that R12 I was informed of another person in Arizona that had a Dacia 1300 and an R12, coincidentally the wagon I previously bid on. We became good friends and now that I sold my orange one and he wanted to sell his wagon it is only natural that I would buy it.
    I got the car a couple of weeks ago, it's in pretty good shape and I'm very happy with it. The engine cranked and I was told that it previously started and drove. I put gas directly in the carb and it fired up, but only for a couple of seconds. I changed the fuel pump and it still wasn't running. I tried running it from a bottle with gas and still no luck. Finally, I had the carb rebuilt by a good friend of mine and last night at 1 AM we finally got it running! The engine sounds really good, nice and smooth. There's a lot more to do in order to get it to drive, but this was a major step.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D6UYQGvnoM
    Hello ! Nice one, it's one of my favorite Renault 12 model . You are from Romania ,aren't you? I'm from Romanian and I have a Dacia 1300 . Good luck with this car .

Thanks! Yes, I am from Romania, and when I was growing up there the majority of the cars were Dacia 1300, which are Renault 12's built under license. So that's why this car has so much meaning to me, it brings me memories of my childhood.

Bucharest - late 70's/early 80's

I replaced the old tires which were mismatched, they were different brands and sizes and had a bunch of goo in them to hold air. A friend of mine works for the NYPD as a parts guy and he was able to get me 4 brand new 155/80/R13 tires, lucky for me the 3-wheel scooters that the cops have use the same tires.
    I replaced the battery terminals and wires and a new starter is on the way. I took out the gas tank and took it to a place to get it cleaned and patched up, it had a hole in it and there was about 3 inches of gunk in it, also the outgoing line was clogged. Now it runs from the tank and no more leaks. I have a new water pump and belts, after installing those I'll flush the system and the engine should be good.
    The brakes are shot, the master cylinder leaked into the brake booster, so now I have to get a new one from Europe. I found one for about $100 + shipping and I bought a brake master cylinder repair kit, so hopefully by the end of the year I'll have time to get all this done so I can finally drive it.

I put a Dacia 1300 emblem on the hatch instead of the Renault 12 and replaced the ugly steering wheel with a Dacia steering wheel.

I spent all day compounding the paint with NuFinish. It really brought back the shine on the 40 year old paint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (32).jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	1926   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(1).jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	1927   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image(2).jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	1928