Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Here. Thinking about one more Renault... '85 Encore...

Default New Here. Thinking about one more Renault... '85 Encore...

I'm no stranger to odd cars.

My dad had an R4 and a 4CV when I was a kid. He had a Peugeot 504 after Peugeot left the US market. He had a Le Car briefly in the early 90s. And I've been driving oddballs myself for 20+ years.

So my dad is currently driving a '93 Altima that's wearing out, and I know he yearns for something oddball to replace it. And he only ever drives about 10 miles twice per week and less than 2 miles a day the rest of the time.

My mom found an old lady who has an '85 Encore S that she says has less than 100,000 miles on it. It runs. It just needs an alternator and she has been told that alternators (like all parts for an Encore) are unavailable anywhere.

So...

My questions...

Is that the case?

How hard is it to find parts?

I know the local junkyard doesn't have any at the moment, but I'm sure I've seen a few alliances there in the last few months. I still see one on the road now and then in Albuquerque.

Oreilly says they can get an alternator for the 1.4, but I checked the VIN and this car is a 1.7, and Oreilly doesn't show anything for a 1.7.

It's a New Mexico car and the paint is faded, but the body looks awesome from what I saw. That is often the case in NM where there's no road salt used.

I think it would really make my dad happy to tinker with it.

But is it just going likely going to be heartbreak and frustration finding parts.

Or does it just mean buying online somewhere or improvising with parts from something else?

Like on my Datsun it was a pretty easy mod to put a GM alternator on it. There was hardly any wiring, the mount just needed to be customized and a GM tension bracket used... But IDK how electronic the Encores were - would using a different alternator cause issues with the fuel injection?

It seemed like on Oreilly's website that things like tune-up parts and brake parts were mostly available. But I've also tried to order stuff for my Honda from Oreilly and found that they're not actually available after I had paid (they refunded my money, but still, it makes me think that maybe they can't even really get the 1.4 alternator).

I read somewhere that the fuel injection was similar to the unit used on contemporary Jeeps??? Is there any validity to that or does it open up a possible second route for find parts... even if they require some finesse to make work??? Or is it just guaranteed disappointment???

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts on the matter!

Try ebay, you'll find almost anything for your car there.

Renault has a lot of parts that cross over from other cars. Sometimes directly, sometimes with some modification. I would not be surprised that Jeep from that age would have some interchange, Renault owned 40% of AMC at the time and Jeep was the reason Chrysler bought the whole shebang in 1990.

That all being said, you are bound to run into challenges finding pats for any 28 year old car, an orphan brand is even more frustrating at times. If he really wants odd, Renault is that in spades, just don't expect to run to the corner for parts.
    1971 R10 - R1192

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,c...,parttype,2412

You could try here, that's were I found an alternator for my Encore, though mine has the 1.4 in it.

There's only one part I have been unable to find, otherwise, everything is widely available.

Encore cars rule, I own two of them, they really do!
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

http://www.kioscomusical.com

Fer:

Que parte necesitas el sensor de velocidad del electronic?

Afirma, se llama "Captador del Tacómetro" o Tachimetre Capteur

En estos momentos se está revisando la pieza para una posible reparación con el Eléctrico Renault 80s
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

non
    No disponible
    Fernando Zavala
    Alliance 1985 Limited
    Encore 1986 GS
    Encore 1986 Electronic

tengo un amigo, medio loco tal vez podria ver alguna solucion.
    Es magnetico, no es tipo el que controla el cruise control? traen un sensor en el cable