Thread: R16 engine question -

Thumbs down R16 engine question -

My '71 R16 had a head gasket leak, so I parked it several yrs ago. When trying to start it recently to look for leak, engine turns over but distributor doesn't rotate! Pulled dizzy, looked at drive gear & it doesn't rotate! I tried turning it with a screwdriver but it'll only turn a tiny amount, so doesn't seem frozen. The cam rotates the accessory pulley, so I can only surmise that the oil pump is frozen from water in the sump, and the teeth on the driven gearshift to the dizzy must have sheared off! I don't have a cross-section view of the engine so thought I could pull the driven gear out its hole, but it appears trapped by the head.

Has anyone ever seen this sort of thing happen? I would've expected the thin splines coupling the gear to the oil pump shaft to have sheared if the pump is frozen - not the gear teeth. Does anyone have a spare driven gear for the pump, a spare pump if I need it, and any suggestions? I can't imagine any other reason for why the dizzy won't turn - help! I'm at citbuff@sbcglobal.net or 248-515-9879 thanks!

HI;
    Yes, is very common . the distributor cam gear is damaged and possibly the cam teeth also . You will have to take the cyl. head off to verify the extend of the damage.
    We have all the parts needed for your repairs . let us know call (786) 546-4552 EASTERN DAYTIME WORKING HOURS ONLY.
    Thanks
    Renault Source

Renault source, thanks for the reply - it's good to hear parts are available, but a couple of questions: If the cam gear is damaged, can I remove the cam with the head off and without pulling the engine? When you say this is a common problem, what is the cause of the problem? I have been speculating that if water got into the sump, it could have corroded the pump gears and prevented rotation of the shaft, which would have put a severe load on the gear teeth of the driven gear and also the cam gear - I can't imagine any other reason the gears would strip - am I right, or are there other problems that could cause the gears to strip? I'll be calling you either Monday or Tuesday to learn what I can do - Regards,
    Ken in California

Ken ;
    Thanks for calling me . I hope the information I gave you thru the phone is help full . Like I told you I have the gear and ALL the gasket needed for the operation .
    I will be accessible anytime at my phone # EASTERN DAYTIME HOURS.
    Thanks;
    Renault Source