Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 74 model year 17 Gordini out of storage after 3 decades (R1323 Canada)

Wow that's a really nice R17, love the color.

Thanks to Steve, this car needs to be driven and shown to the people.

Quote Originally Posted by choover View Post
    ...not exactly sure what all it may need. It has not run for at least 20 years, but it is complete. It is actually supposed to be the parts car for the other one I have, but the other one is in worse condition at the moment. The other car has some special historical significance...it is the actual car used for the 1978 brochure...Attachment 2277
    Do you have a picture of your other "Famous" R17?

Quote Originally Posted by R17 Gordini View Post
    Wow that's a really nice R17, love the color.

Thanks to Steve, this car needs to be driven and shown to the people.
    I did not like the color 40 years ago but today I find it really nice, kinda goes with the rest of the car that was ahead of its time.
    So far have driven it 140 miles ! It attracts a lot of attention

Do you have a picture of your other "Famous" R17?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R17 2.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	2278

The previous owner had this one sitting outside his garage and the parts car inside, so the parts car has survived the elements much better. I have the original alloy wheels for it. Both cars are now stored in my dry shed.

I'm nearing the end of my Renault 17 Gordini (R1327), can't wait to drive it.
    It's a little special to, because it's 1 of 5 R1327's sold in the Netherlands.

Between 1973 and 1977 only 1138 R1327's were made.
    Renault Netherlands special ordered 5 of them in 1974, of which today only 2 remain.

Here's a picture of my car.

I'm nearing the end of my Renault 17 Gordini (R1327), can't wait to drive it.
    It's a little special to, because it's 1 of 5 R1327's sold in the Netherlands.

Between 1973 and 1977 only 1138 R1327's were made.
    Renault Netherlands special ordered 5 of them in 1974, of which today only 2 remain.

Here's a picture of my car.

Great looking car, that is actually the Renault yellow I would have liked !
    What was the difference of the R1327 versus R1323 or R1326. I know the 1326 was the US/California type from 75 I believe, it had the L Jetronic fuel injection and had a flowmeter. Is the 1327 the one with the 'new' R30 type dashboard ?

The R1327 is the same as a R1323, brake discs in front and back and D-jetronic injection.
    Only difference is a different engine, and the rear anti roll bar and master brake actuator are from the R12 Gordini.

But i have read that the R1323's sold in America and Canada, were different from their European brothers and sisters.

The R1323 was only made as phase 1 R17, and the R1327 was made as phase 1 and 2.
    Only around 100 R1327 phase 2 were ever made.

The 5 sold in the Netherlands were all phase 1 cars, and very early cars.
    Here is my oval plate with production number 203, the other surviving R1327 in the Netherlands has production number 61.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foto540-DD4MLWG3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	2279  
    Last edited by R17 Gordini; 07-21-2015 at 06:08 AM.

But i have read that the R1323's sold in America and Canada, were different from their European brothers and sisters.

Indeed there were some differences between the euro R1323 with the Canada export, besides the obvious 5 mph impact bumpers.The Canada R1323 came with rear drums and not the discs (I swapped the drums for discs from a 73). The 4 pods on the dashboard was added with a part covering the 4 half moons so that they could display the car's serial number, to allow police to read the number through the windshield.Also there were no pictograms and everything is displayed in english and the speedometer/odometer is in miles per hour.Canada was not metric back then.I think that the color of my R17 was also exclusive to Canada/USA although I may have spotted one in Australia (paint code LH113)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02083.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	2280

Always nice to learn something new about R15/17's.

Below a link to the French R15/17 site, it's a very nice site.
    Here you can find the world wide register of all R15/17's, it's getting larger by the month.
    You can find the register under "recensement".

http://amicale.r15r17.pagesperso-orange.fr/

If you don't mind, i'm gonna send them a picture of your car and oval plate.

Below a link to the register of all R1323's known by the French.

http://amicale.15.17.pagesperso-oran...ement/1323.htm

Hi Friends,

I missed this post. I hope we keep it going

I am so glad Richard has gotten the old girl back on the road. I think we first started emailing and helping each other over two and half years ago. Richard is a great guy. I am hoping I get to meet him and see the old girl.

He sent me a center counsel for my car, and encouragement. I hope I am able to show the same kindness back.

I have put about 700 miles on my car since I have called her running, most of the miles this year.

I think we ought to start a 17 survey. If people are up to it, we should start a thread that says what you have, details, where you are located, etc.

If we are going to keep our cars on the road I think we should strive to help each other with parts, knowledge, friendship and encouragement. Maybe one day we will actually have a gathering like Amicale does in France.

I can dream.

I will start.

My name is Steve I have a US spec 1973 R1323 R17. only 34000 miles, original paint, heavily rust proofed when new, no rust, had extensive restoration of fuel injection system due to fire caused by old fuel injection hose failing.

Thanks to the very kind community in France known as Amicale.

http://amicale-r15-r17.forumpro.fr

Keep up the good work Richard!!

I hope to meet you both in person!!

Steve