Thread: New member seeking answers about the Medallion J7T engines

Default New member seeking answers about the Medallion J7T engines

Hello,

I am a Renault owner in that my father owns a Winnbago LeSharo with the J8S turbodiesel engine rated at 75 HP. This is woefully underpowered to be moving a 5200 pound vehicle.

After much research, we are convinced that a J7T 733 (rated at 108 HP) engine from a 1988 Medallion will bolt right into his LS, and save the day.

There is a LeSharo forum and yahoo groups that agree with this swap idea and even a couple of LS owners that actually have this engine in the motorhome.

Questions:

Are there any shops out there that would actually rebuild one of these engines?

Can anyone tell me the wheel size on the medallions? Did they use American style (15") or the Michelin pattern (14")

Does anyone have a rebuilt J7T 733 engine laying around? lol.

I have leads on 2 engines that I am going to check out this week but if the forums don't mind, I'm going to be picking as many brains as possible

Thank you in advance

Dave S

Reply to my own thread.
    I've learned a lot over the last few weeks. I have purchased a 1986 2.2 J7T engine that is practically complete (L-jetronic injection, wiring, extra parts). This engine will also bolt up to the NL-2 gearbox. Heres my quandry. In order for the engine to know when to inject fuel, I need a flywheel assembly from a manual transmission equipped vehicle.
    In LeSharo land, the MT flywheel from the 1988-1989 2.2L vehicles has been used for this upgrade. The NL5-30 5-speed transmission is a rare bird.
    Does anybody know if the NL5-30 5-speed was used in other vehicles of the era (1986-ish)?

Thank you