Thread: 1987 gta mods/tuning?

Default 1987 gta mods/tuning?

Hey everyone thanks for letting me into your club I'm pretty new to the Renault scene and don't know squat I came across a 1987 gta convertible and I'm just wondering if anybody knows some mods or running tricks for the f3r 2.0 8v motor also what size tires can be run on a gta/alliance thanks again and look forward to the replies!!!

TACOCAT -

Greetings - from a also (relatively) new user.

I have a GTA 2.0L engine and am also looking for performance improvements. I expect it will be a big improvement over the 1.7L F3N I had in my racecar. I'm putting on the headers from the 1.7 - and will start with the Weber 32/34 carb that was also on the it. The next step will be to fabricate a new intake manifold for dual Weber DCOEs. More fuel/air has to be good - yes?

I expect timing will be a BIG improvement and so I got an electronic ignition system with a crank trigger. I've read that the engine comes alive at 30-ish degrees advance - but the RENIX limits to 20 something. My racecar runs 13 inch tires - but I seem to recall seeing 15s on the Alliance/GTA - in the Chilton's manual.

After those mods, it would be interior work I'm afraid. Finding a cam, etc - will be expensive and more European connections.

To improve the shifting, there is a fellow in Hungary, that manufactures/resells a Quickshift kit. The piece replaces the linkage on the transmission for shorter shift throw. He also has some bits for the interior shift mechanism too.

As I learn more I'll post.

Cheers - Jim
    Last edited by phantomjock; 08-31-2017 at 08:31 AM.

Just realized I didn't add the link... Not associated - just pleased with his product(s) and I've found him very supportive of the "lost" USA Renault cousins...
    http://www.dp-automotive.hu/dpa_developments.html

Cheers - Jim

WOW thanks a ton I'll look into all of these things and see what I can come up with any chance you know where to get 1.7l headers and also where you got your crack shaft trigger for your electronic ignition?

Got the electronic ign. from an outfit in South Africa - haven't tried it just yet - but seems like good kit. Much modification required - I'll make posts as I go. The headers were built by SCCA - the Sports Car Club of America - may not fit a standard vehicle - purpose built for the race car in 85-86. Electrodyne has a 4 cyl kit that might work. But not cheap!

Cheers - Jim

Hopefully you can find here - https://www.icrfq.com/products/ for your car electronic components, it will enable you to locate the required thing you require.

Wondering if anyone has any info on suspension for the gta/alliance/9 I'm looking into lowering it